Old 12-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Padger wrote:

Also I would add that any compost heap worthy of the name will have killed
off any disease spores and/or weed seeds. So much rubbish gets talked about
what you can and cannot compost. It is too much for a dissertation here but
there are web sites around which gives good guidance on the subject.

That is a bit simplistic. There are some soil-borne diseases with
resistant spores, and a fair number of weeds with resistant seeds,
but I agree that it is not generally a problem.

However, you should not compost weeds such as nettles, goosefoot,
grasses with ripe seeds, or you may have trouble. But it really is
only the ripe seeds that are a problem.

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

My seed problems are Geum (not rivale, the other one), Herb Robert,
dandelion, broad leaved willowherb and Jack by the Hedge. And of course
forget-me-not and aquilegia ;-)

--
Kay