Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article ,
Kay wrote:

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

Yes. I have thought of growing it deliberately, because it is really
quite a good spinach-like plant and doesn't have the difficulties of
spinach. I keep meaning to try its seeds, and see what they taste
like. But it does like light soils and dryish conditions.

I collect it (and fat hen) in the fields round here, by the carrier-bag.
I've still got some in the freezer from last year. And the soil round
here is far from light or sandy...

It does like a rich soil, and will delight in an old muck-heap.

The whole of the tops go in the pot, seeds and all, but they do need to
be young and tender: the mature seeds are not what I would call
scrumptious.

I'd put the taste of fat hen as between spinach and asparagus, with the
tendency towards the spinach end of the spectrum.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/