Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Dwayne

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I have read conflicting advice about pruning apple trees, it's a bit of
a minefield! Some say to prune in the winter/dormant months, other
advice is to prune midsummer - which is preferable?

I do all my pruning when the tree is dormant (Feb 15, weather permitting).
No excess "bleeding" and it will be healed up before the bugs and diseases
are out and are trying to get into my trees. I prune out any dead wood,
suckers from the ground, and limbs that grow straight up, toward the center
of the tree, and toward the ground.

I have several eating apple trees which have been kept small over the years
before we
moved here. Last year the trees put on quite a bit of growth and I want
to cut them back to keep them manageable and not to end up with any more
tonnes of wasted apples as we can't possibly eat them all!

You thin the apples out to keep from getting an excess and lessen the
chances of getting damage to the trees from the heavy fruit. I dont
remember on apples, but I was told that peach trees need to be thinned to
one peach every 4 inches and no doubles.

Do the same rules apply for bramley trees and victoria plum?

I prune all of my trees (peaches-2, plums-2, apples-4, & pears-2) and my
roses at approximately the same time of the year. When you prune a tree you
do it to eliminate problem areas. You also do it to shape the tree into
something you like. I like to stand back and look at the tree I am getting
ready to prune and imagine what I want it to look like in 10 years. Then I
start pruning to make it do what I want. I do it by pruning just above a
bud that is pointing the direction I want the limb to grow.

Have fun. Dwayne

Thanks!
Lynda