Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Kay

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes

Well I think it's a Bramley, it certainly produced some monster sized
cooking apples that tasted like bramleys, but I'm no expert, I just
wouldn't have expected any other kind of cooker I suppose. What other
types might it be out of interest?

Dunno! I'm no good on cooking apples. But scanning through the Scotts
catalogue for large yellow cookers gives Arthur Turner, george neal,
grenadier, Charles Eyre, Warners King, Edward VII, Encore just for
starters. And that's ignoring all the greens, reds, green with red
flush/stripes, yellow with red flush/stripes ..

But if it looks, tastes, feels like a bramley, that's a good bet, since
it's the most widely planted.

I thought the tree might be under
stress being so large and not having been pruned for many years, but
still full of apples - can that not reduce the quality of the fruit in
general and make them less likely to last well? Just guessing really!

I wouldn't have thought so - the main effect is to reduce the size of
the apples, but if the apples are still large, then it sounds as if it's
perfectly happy with that quantity. When we lost our apple tree in the
1987 'hurricane', we had 400lbs of windfalls to deal with ;-) ... just
from the one tree.

Keeping the apples whole is by far the best way of preserving - if you
cook them, you'll either have to freeze them, or put even more effort
into bottling them.

A good way of getting through a glut of apples is simply to juice them.
--
Kay