Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Maryc Maryc is offline
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

I use coffe grounds in my compost all the time. I put citrus peels in there too along with all my kitchen scraps. THe only problem I had with my compost pile is when I put the leftover ashes from our cookout the day before and it started my compost pile on fire! Now I wait several days before putting the ashes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Ward
The canteen at my workplace is trying to improve its recycling
statistics and so is bagging up the used coffee grounds from the
machine and offering this to customers for their garden compost bins.
A colleague has said this is not a good idea because the grounds are
too acidic. I would appreciate knowing the thoughts of experienced
gardeners on this please. I am not particularly wanting to grow
acid-loving plants.
I have also heard that one should not add citrus peel to the compost
bin for the same reason. Does the group agree?