Old 13-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Sally Holmes

Duncan wrote:

A bad weed in my garden is something I've not identified with flowers
resembling forget-me-not, leaves big and rough (spiky enough to be
scratchy rather than prickly) with pale splotches. The whole plant
grows about 3 ft high if left to do so. Seems perennial, plus seeds
all over the place. Anyone know what it is?

Borage? http://www.gardenguides.com/herbs/borage.htm and
http://www.ienica.net/crops/borage.htm

The bees love the flowers. Apparently you can put the leaves in your Pimms
and scatter the flowers in salads for colour. You can buy the oil of its
seeds in the guise of starflower oil. It does seem to be fairly useful from
a herbal medicine point of view, but it self-seeds like mad.

Is that it?

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England