Old 13-06-2005, 01:20 PM
geezer

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:53:23 -0700, "Pagan"
wrote:

In case you haven't done all this, first you can check for shorts by using
your meter. Connect one terminal of the battery to the mower. Then connect
one probe from the meter to the other terminal, and the other to the
disconnected battery terminal. With the mower OFF, you should get 0 volts.
If you get any steady reading, even if it's very small, there's a short
somewhere, possibly a dirty connection at the starter or ignition switch.

You say 'Then connect one probe from the meter to the other terminal,
and the other to the disconnected battery terminal'. I assume you
mean 'Then connect one probe from the meter to the other MOWER
terminal, and the other to the disconnected battery terminal'.

Assuming I am right - I did that and voila! I get a meter reading of
3V give or take! Since the starter connections and ignition switch
connections are all original (some 10Y) I certainly will next take a
look there.

I'll let you know and thanks!

BTW, an overnight charge with my 10A charger (that shows only about 1A
of charging) produced a meter reading across the isolated battery
terminals of only 11V. Should be 12V+ I'm thinking.