Old 13-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Catty One

Default What kind of Ground Bee?

I noticed a VERY large 'ant hill' in my yard before mowing the lawn the
other day and for some reason, I decided to step on the hill to see what
would happen. Figured I had some sort of strange ant colony ...nope, a
couple passes w/the mower and I noticed bees of some sorts, about a half
dozen of them, frantically flying about over the closed hole. Got the Raid,
figured I'd have to kill 'em since I've gone and ****ed them off now,
sprayed a couple, but then realized that these little guys are NOT
aggressive at all. I stood there for the longest time and watched them
trying to dig their way back in, they did but it took 'em a while.

I looked up "ground bees" online but only seem to find info on yellow
jackets (they are not those) and info on a solitary ground bee ... I would
guess these are not that either since there were a whole bunch.

Anyhoo, they were smaller than a honey bee (much smaller) had very obvious
black and white striped rumps and a bright (practically fluorescent)
yellow/green front section - sorta reminded me of the green on a
green-headed fly (anybody from the Massachusetts area that's been to Plum
Island at a certain time of year will know what I'm talking about!).

Will these guys destroy my lawn? Or will there just be one little nest
there?

Thanks
~Catty One
20 miles north of Boston, Zone 5