Old 13-06-2005, 04:53 PM

On 2005-06-10, Boowho wrote:
I say that if the plants need water - water them. Soil conditions and

What is your definition of "needs water"?
I don't understand how to apply that rule.

weather vary too much to have any set rules. All soils are different
and annual plants, especially veggies, need lots of water! Sounds to me
like you got some bad soil from B&B. I would let them know. Maybe you
could amend the soil as best you can this year to get something from
your plants, but prepare in advance to have better soil for next year.
I have learned this the hard way, too! Here is a website to see
regarding soil amendments -
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...improving_soil.
html

Actually, maybe even better, see -
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/07235.html

That's my input - hope it helps a little!

In article ,
"tomatolord" wrote:

I would also not water every day. Most plants need only to be watered once
a week.

Which is why you have the furrows so the plant does NOT sit in water but
grows root down

Nursery containers are supposed to be watered everyday - they dry out very
fast.

good luck!

"Mister Sensitive" wrote in message
nk.net...
We built raised beds for veggies this year. First try with raised beds. We
got soil from B&B topsoil mine, with which we've had great success in the
past. We tilled the soil into furrows and planted veggies along the furrow
ridge. I water every day it doesn't rain, but the plants are growing very
slowly, if at all. We left a couple of plants in the valleys in their
nursery containers, to backfill failing plants. The valley plants are
growing much better. I also noticed after prodigious watering that the
soil
is pretty dry just under the surface if I scratch the wet soil. The only
time the plants seem to grow is after these recent long drenching rains.

Have we created too much drainage for water and are depriving our plants
of
water?

Thanks,

Hungry in Hillsborough