Old 13-06-2005, 04:47 PM
pammyT

--"RichardS" wrote in message
Got a bit of a surprise when I went down to close the kitchen doors last
Thursday....

http://www.olifant.co.uk/Olifant/Pub...ks/RSAN-6D8A55

This was a bit of a welcomed find, because in the five years that we've

been
in Twickenham I've seen a year-on-year increase in the amount of wildlife
about. When we first moved here I was rather struck by the singlular lack
of birds (other than pigeons) in an area that is, by London standards,
covered by a lot of greenery. Other than foxes and the occasional curious
rat we hadn't seen any other wildlife, so a hedgehog was a very welcomed
resident. It also explains the reduction in snails and slugs that I've
noticed over the past couple of weeks.

Our cat did what any self-respecting 18 year old cat would do... sit under
the table & watch with dismay as the whole sorry spectacle unfolded.

Now, to encourage him/her to stick around we'll put out some supplemental
food - tinned dog food is normally recommended (and if we can find

something
that the cat doesn't like then so much the better). I'm sure I've read

that
fish-based foods must be completely avoided, but the St Tiggiwinkles site
didn't say anything on that issue. Anyone know?

It needs to be tinned cat food not dog food as the cat food contains
proper meat but the dog food contains mostly low grade soya protein. Hedge
pigs, like cats, are obligate carnivores and need proper meat.