Old 13-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Bob Hobden

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote ...
I've just come back from friends on the Wirral. As we were walking back to
the station, there was a plant on the embankment that I didn't recognise.
It was between 8" and 10" in height and I don't recall seeing any leaves.
It had a thin stem and was crowned with a spire of between 15 and 20
smallish (about ½") white flowers with deep purple spots. The 'eye' was
dark. The wife asked me was it an orchid as the flowers were certainly
orchid-like, but I don't know of any member of the orchidae family with
more than one flower to a stem.

Sorry for the poor description but can anyone identify it?

Take a look at all the photos on...
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~pniel...rs.htm#orchids
Especially the spotted orchids.

--