Old 15-06-2005, 02:11 AM
simy1

What have you found dislikes sandy soil? Our so-called soil here is
pure sand, with absolutely nothing else unless I add it myself. (And
people wonder why I covet their bags of lawn clippings That goes
down about 6 feet, then there's a rock-hard layer of adobe. -- It's
also very alkaline due to the high calcium content (you can make
concrete with my well water, no need to buy cement mix

well, anything that needs water regularly. I am not at home all the
time.
Tomatoes and cabbage definitely prefer denser soil. Favas and
radicchios, even though both have strong tap roots, grow poorly in
sandy soil. Lettuce prefers denser, and so do cardoon, garlic, arugula,
and chard. I am better off giving you a list of what appears to do OK
in sandy: some cucurbitas, pole beans, carrots and onions (if you water
them), parsnips. Herbs do reasonably well in sandy soil.

for your soil, it looks perfect for massive amounts of wood chips. my
front beds only ever got one foot of wood chips and they are completely
self-sustained (no water, no fertilizer, blooming year after year).
too bad for the termites.