Old 14-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Brian

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
I've just come back from friends on the Wirral. As we were walking
back to the station, there was a plant on the embankment that I
didn't recognise. It was between 8" and 10" in height and I don't
recall seeing any leaves. It had a thin stem and was crowned with a
spire of between 15 and 20 smallish (about ½") white flowers with
deep purple spots. The 'eye' was dark. The wife asked me was it an
orchid as the flowers were certainly orchid-like, but I don't know
of any member of the orchidae family with more than one flower to a
stem.

it?
_____________________-
European wild orchids do form spikes of many flowers~~ possibly
one or two exceptions. The Burnt-tip orchid fits your description
and, despite limited regions of growth, can be found in the Wirral.
Best Wishes Brian

Thanks both - I'm going up there again the week after next and, this time,
I'm going armed and I'll have photographic evidence.

Sarah

You will be too late~~~ but it does sound like one of our very many orchids.
Don't get too interested~ orchids can become a mania!!
Best Wishes Brian.