Old 15-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:
Graham Harrison wrote:

Even 60ft sounds young middle aged. They grow in town squares in
Argentina
and in Salta I reckon they were anything up to 100ft! Wonderful trees.

Well, I was being conservative, they grow bigger than 60ft. in Devon
and regions along the west coast, but are a tad shorter elsewhere. I
need to amend my suggestion that they should not be planted in gardens
of less than half an acre. for that read 1 acre - better two! If you
own a park then you can plant several.

When I was a boy we had a corner of the garden with a monkey puzzle tree
in it. There was also a sycamore, a false accacia, a laurel, a couple of
Scots pines and several others I can't remember. Beneath this lot was
the air-raid shelter, by this time turned over to storage of apples.

The monkey puzzle must have been about fifty feet high, but looked quite
good rising above the other trees.

But it must be admitted that the garden was an acre, as were nearly all
the other gardens in the road. (There was a covenant on the estate which
stipulated that there should be no more than four houses to the acre. It
was ridden over rough-shod in the '60s.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/