Old 15-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

John Bachman wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:54:23 -0400, "Toni" wrote:

[...]
And I thought our town had an ordinance against this sort of thing without a
permit- guess that explains the city trucks I've seen stopping to take
photos of the stump three times now.
Would I be evil to hope they get fined?

Your town has an ordinance that requires a homeowner to get a permit
to cut down a tree on his own property? Yikes!

Sure glad I live in the "Live Free or Die" state. We just tax the
trees that you cut down. No income or sales taxes but we have lots of
little ones.

John

Actually, in many places trees in the front yard are not on someone's
property - they're on city property. Check out your lot lines, you may
be surpised how much of the city's property you're taking care of.

And while I believe in freedom to my own thing, and you to do yours, if
I interfere with your peace and enjoyment of your property or
vice-versa, even if I do what I do entirely on my own property (or you
on yours), then you have a legitimate grievance (and vice versa).
Freedom to my own thing ends where your right to peace and quiet begins.
And vice versa.

Then there is the genral rule that trees in the city are good for
everybody, not just those on whose property they happen to grow. So
everybody has an interest in preserving them (or cutting them down if
they get dangerously rotten, etc.)

The closer we live together, and the more of us live together in one
place, the less individual freedom there can be. Aren't you glad you
live in a society that believes that the nmecessary compromises should
be governed by law, and not imposed by bute force?