Old 15-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Jenny

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
At what age, or size, or temperature conditions, do morning glories
start to flower?

I have four or five varieties, in various places around the yard, in
various soils. Some are in the ground, some are in pots. Some of them
started from seed, some came as starters from the greenhouse.

One of them is seven feet high.

The weather here has been mostly in the 70s and 80, but once got up to 91.

When can I expect them to flower?

Or do you think I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you,

Ted Shoemaker

I planted some morning glories last May in an area next to a deck with a
lattice railing where they could not get very much light until they'd
grown about 2 feet and got out of the shadow of the deck. Only five of
them survived infancy and those grew extremely slowly so I pretty much
had given up on them though I did up up some strings.

Then, suddenly, wham! They exploded into growth in mid July. By mid
August our entire deck was coated in flowering vines with several
different colored blooms. There was literally not an inch of the lattice
not covered with flowers. It was glorious and lasted until hard frost in
October.

This year a lot more of my seedlings have survived despite a hard freeze
a week after I planted them. I'm not sure we'll have enough room for
all of them on the deck railing. I also put them all around the gas
cannister and on a trellis on the side of the house where nothing much
wants to grow.

FWIW, a whole bunch of what I planted this year did not germinate until
last week. I though there weren't going to be even the 5 I had last year
but now there are another seven or eight growing. I put some in peat
posts 2 weeks ago and grew them on the deck and they already have two
real leaves compared to the one in the seedlings I planted in situ.