Old 15-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "davout" contains these words:

I've just spent a ton of money re-planting several large beds only to wake
up this morning to find that deer have visited overnight and stripped most
of the plants.

Two questions...
* What to do with the plants that have been mauled by the deer, especially
the roses. Should I prune back the areas that have been stripped?
* As most of my garden is surrounded by large hedges there are only a
couple
of areas the deer could have penetrated. What are the best options for
securing the parameters against further deer raids?

I used to work on a deerstalking estate, and at dangerous places on the
road we had fourteen foot high deer fencing.

Red or fallow deer will jump any hedge you can grow without waiting for
years (apart from leylandii or similar): they, roe, muntjack, etc will
push through it if they can't jump it.

A triple-two and a freezer is the answer...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/