Old 15-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Chris_Moran Chris_Moran is offline
Registered User

[quote=Chris Hogg]On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:54:30 +0000, Chris_Moran
wrote:

snipped interesting description of osmotic growing system

Q1. What do you use as your osmotic membrane?

It's a novel hydrogel based on polyethylene oxide. I developed a range of compositions during 20 years research at university. I can make them with different swelling capacities, mechanical properties and optionally biodegradable (to safe components).

Q2. Is it any better than supplying water via capilliary matting?

Capillary matting tends to overwater (by default) and also you get backflow of muddy brown water. A commercial grower did a comparative shelf-life trial and my system significantly outperformed capillary matting trays. You can also keep different plants with different watering needs on the same reservoir like a windowsill tray or similar. Also makes a good holiday watering solution.

Q3. How do you compensate for loss of salts (nutrients) taken up by the
plant?

Salts and nutrients can be replaced in the normal way by using commercial nutrient products as directed. I am also working on some controlled nutrient delivery ideas - I have worked on controlled delivery systems for humans!

Chris Moran