Old 16-06-2005, 12:35 AM
madgardener

"Travis" wrote in message
news:J%%re.9136$L65.3782@trnddc05...
madgardener wrote:
searching for it, and it's not a true bamboo, that's the common
name. when I find it, I'll tell you, k'?
maddie

Thanks.

I was really only interested if it was a "real" bamboo. I have about 16
different kinds now.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

well as far as I know, I only know the common name of it and everyone around
here (mostly oldster's and the next generation up which would be people old
enough to be my siblings and then my generation) call it Crimson Bamboo
because it exactly looks like bamboo, only it's easily cut or broken, as it
has segmented stems. In the fall it send up "flowers" or at least a grassy
type of flower on top and at the junctions of the joints and it turns a
bright, crimson. I've also heard it called Mexican Bamboo. I called UT
Agriculture today and left a message, I'll try tomorrow only because I am
curious what the true identity is. Inquiring mind wanna know, ya know? Now
the people down in town (Dandridge ain't very big, despite that there are
hordes of people moving in, I mean the business and "town" section isn't
very large) who have an art business with neat hand crafted things like
ceramics and glass stuff and window thingies and what not have planted
TIMBER BAMBOO, and let me tell you..............some of it is now
harvestable, as they've been in that spot next to the main road now for
about ?15? or more years. Improved the house that they sell and display
wonderful stuff in and live upstairs and down around the main floor. The
timber bamboo is doing what it does..........it's growing westward. And the
young shoots are strong enough they poke thru ASPHALT, and CONCRETE!!! The
daughter who is in her late 30's (her mom and dad and even husband are
involved in this business along with all the artists they engage for their
wares) showed me shoots that were six inches thick at the base, nine inches
tall and had sprung up overnight, literally. She goes out and kicks them
over with her foot. She then pointed to one that had shoved it's way thru
the STREET apparently thru a minute crack.........and Squire wanted some of
this??? I think not!!! She worries now from her dad planting it for
building fences and such from the bamboo when it gets to the "timber" stage
which a lot of it is now, that since it's walking westwards it will soon
invade the foundation of the house and business and she's not sure how to
remove it (like most houses around here, it's built against a ridge and
there is a full downstairs that is partially underground with three sides
exposed on the sides and back, and this house is also two stories.)

The 38 foot pieces I cut several years ago when their neighbor on the east
side of them and their business (our town is a mix of homes, businesses and
such in the older established parts, more normal with streets and
neighborhoods as you follow the roads that end in many, many coves all
meandering around the huge lake that runs south along the whole town)
whacked the bamboo that had eaten his steep driveway. I saw all the bamboo
lying piled up on the other side of his driveway and it was free for the
removal. I just stood there and cut the limbs off the bamboo before taking
it home to use as stakes and such. Others were taking it for using for
their pole beans. Beat the heck outa the local cane that grows along the
moist parts of the countryside (our native bamboo)

sorry about the running ramble there. Cathy has offered me several times in
the early spring some rhizomes of the timber bamboo and after seeing the
huge scary shoots, I've firmly declined, and instead shared with her
perennial begonia and other nice perennials for her's and her daughter's
gardens. (the back lower yard now is literally a shadowy bamboo forest,
which is kinda neat, but being in town, it will eventually have to be burnt
or something, unless it blooms, then the problems will be over once and for
all)

madgardener