Old 15-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message

When I grow vegetables from seed, they nearly always germinate quickly,
but stop growing once they've produced their first true leaves. They
sit like this (no matter how long I wait) until I plant them out,
whereupon they rush forward again. I'm sure this isn't right.

Switch to a John Innes seed compost (soil based) we use peat free compost,
but not for seed, and there are some perennials that don't like it either
(e.g. geraniums) but fortunately all the climbers and especially the
clematis love it, we do however put in a lot of slow release fertilizer!

Thanks for this. John Innes compost plus fertilizer seems to be the way
to go. I'll try it out at the start of next year.

Rhiannon