Old 16-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Lynda LeCompte

Default Houston lurker needs cicada advice...

Hello people,

I read this group as it's the closet thing to a gardening group for
Houston... I am being driven mad by what I think are cicadas.

I live in a little village about 15 miles south of downtown Houston, TX.
It's very green and quiet... apart from the racket these pesky things are
making! I believe it is a cicada, but I would like confirmation of that
please. Also, I would love to know how to get rid of them. I ride my cycle
around our village and our yard seems to be the only yard that has them -
we have lots of trees. The rest of the village is so peaceful. I want that!

Here's some pics;
http://purplelinny.com/miscpics/05061301.jpg
http://purplelinny.com/miscpics/05061302.jpg
http://purplelinny.com/miscpics/05061303.jpg

I crept up on this sucker the other evening. It saw me and immediately
stopped making it's noise, unfortunately, not for long! This is my second
year in Houston (from England) and we had them last year. My husband says
they are here every year. I thought they were a 17 year cyclical species?!

Have looked at websites, tried posting a question to one of them, it
didn't work, so I'm here...

Any help appreciated :-)
TIA.
Lynda