Old 16-06-2005, 03:17 AM
FDR

"Steve" wrote in message
FDR wrote:
I'm tring to grow Temptaion variety corn this year. The stalks are maybe
1 to 1.5 ft. tall and half of them are flopping over. I've tried to
mound dirt around the base and prop them up but it doesn't seem adequate.
I have them growing in 2 stalks per place, rows a foot apart and plants 8
inches apart.

Did I not plant the seed deeply enough?

Is having two together a cause?

Should I just pull them and start with new seed considering the season is
still young? Maturity is stated as about 60 days.

Your spacing seems way too close to me. I try for 14 inches in any
direction to another plant. Even at that 14 inch spacing, mine seem a
little crowded. At that spacing I get only 1 ear of corn per plant, even
from corn varieties fully capable of making 2 good ears. I often get 2
ears from plants at the edge of the patch where they are only crowded on
one side.
Having said all of that, since your corn is only 12 - 18 inches tall, the
crowding shouldn't even be affecting it yet. Some kinds of corn just tip
over easier than others. Since I grow at a windy waterfront location, I
remember which ones to avoid in the future. I usually try a few kinds each
year. Last year I picked up some "Alpine" corn from a store seed rack just
to give it a try. It was good corn. Nice taste and it stayed standing
through a storm that flattened some of the other kinds. I'm growing a
little of that one again this year.

Steve

The spacing of 8 incehs and two stalks was what the Stokes people put on the
package. Though to be fair, the row spacing I hvae is a closer than they
suggest.