Old 16-06-2005, 01:53 PM
VMWOOD

Flowers, like people would be very boring if GOD had created them all
the same.

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Rev "Fragile Warrior" wrote:
I was just mourning the fact that the beautiful red blossoms on my Passion
Flower vine only live a single day same as the Daylilies that I love so
much. But now I'm wondering why? Does anyone know the biological
explanation for why some flowers bloom for days and days and others only
bloom one turning of the sun? Not to mention the kinds of flowers that only
bloom a single night.

I would think a longer blooming cycle enhances the possibility of
fertilization so there must be some good reason why the flower's bloom cycle
is so short. I even understand why tropical flowers bloom at night (because
insects and breezes and animals are more likely to be out at night in the
tropics, right?) but the short bloom cycle has me baffled.

Help, please!
Thx,
Giselle