Old 16-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Doug Kanter

"Hound Dog" wrote in message
I need several hundred feet of edging to create a mowing strip to keep
weeds and grass from growing up around the house and fencing.

Ten feet of the 12" x 11/2" material is almost $50.00. That's WAY more
than I can afford.

I have read about placing several sheets of newspaper covered with mulch
where you want to kill all the grass and weeds to make room for a new
garden bed.

My thought is to fold several sheets of newspaper, shove it up against the
house and fencing, wet it down than cover it neatly with a heavy layer of
mulch.

Have any of you tried this, if so how does it work? Is it worth the
effort?

Thanks,

Hound Dog

Never tried that, but I've found bricks or narrow pavers are a good way to
go. Place them right at the soil level, and the wheels of the mower will
ride on them & take care of the grass edge. Obviously, this costs, but it's
permanent. And, the stones don't cause any problems when you periodically
need to go around with a spade or edging tool to cut the grass runners.