Old 16-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Ben Tuinman

Default Advise needed climbing rose

We have had this climbing rose, called : Rosa Hybrid "Climbing Blaze" for a
number of years. As in previous years it grows very well early in the
season, and flowers in abundance. Again this year it has a tremendous "crop"
so to speak that are about to show its blooms, a beautiful crimson red. Our
trouble is that despite the promise on the label that this climber should
bloom from spring to frost, it always only shows one crop of blooms during
June/July, and then stops flowering. What should we do to promote blooms
throughout the summer. Should it be pruned back in a certain way ? Right now
we leave the canes alone, and only cut back the dead ones. Also, we train
this climber sideways along our fence, in order to guide new loots upwards.
We live in S.Ontario, zone 5, and the climber is located in a sunny location
of our patio. Much obliged ! Ben.