Old 16-06-2005, 09:16 PM
George

"KerplunKuK" wrote in message
2Rowdy scribbled :

You feed your fish more than the plants can handle.
There should be a balance between fishfood and plants. If it isn't in
balance you get the green soup, i.e plants that fill the gap.

Refresh the pond, 10% each week, drain from the bottom if possible.
Use an airbubble pump during filling of the fresh water.
That doesn't bring the balance back.

Install a good filter, redude the number of fish or feed them less.
Feeding tip: 5 minutes max a day and they should eat it all in that
time.
The fish are well capable to survive a week without food.

I have a filter and pump that can handle twice the volume of my pond. My
fish always eat everything I feed them, so I think I will have to insert
more plants and do water changes. What is an airbubble pump?

Thanks

If you have a pump and are churning up the surface (a water fall will do
this), you don't need an air pump. It will do nothing for your algae
problem, and may actually make it worse. You need more plants, and I would
also add a product like aquazyme. It contains bacteria and enzymes that
help digest the nutrients in your water, and so compete directly with the
algae for food. The bacteria is beneficial to the pond. It takes about a
month for it to become firmly established, and even then, it doesn't hurt
to continue to treat the water with this product to ensure that the
bacgteria remain established in the pond. It will go a long way towards
starving out the algae, and will digest it as it dies off. This product
also helps to prevent buildup of black sludge and any leaves at the bottom
of your pond, which is also a source of unwanted nutrients. Do note,
however, that you will likely always has some amount of algae in your pond.
This is not a bad thing, and if you cut back a little on feeding your
goldfish, they will take to munching on it like mine do.