Old 23-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default First snow of the winter.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:43:13 GMT, wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

After a terrible wet cold floody day yesterday we woke up
this morning to see snow on the mountain tops; winter's here :-)

You must have a nice long view from there; I couldn't see the mountaintops
for the fog, but there's an inch (25mm) of the predicted "flurries" on my
lawn. My Scots ancestors must be thrilled!

The view out the window looks like a bad horror movie. Think moors, gloom,
howling dogs... Think I'll just have another cuppa.

...And me with garlic yet to plant. It's early yet.

Ha ha. Here, we are getting light radiation frosts on the roofs
in the early morning, but the days are bright and clear. Perfect
weather for shuffling the coldframe contents around! At long last
all the potted crocuses are keeping one another company.

Cyclamen continue to provide color. Some schizostylis in flower.
Witchhazel foliage is bright, brighter, brighter!

But envy not: any day now, the winds will howl, the rain pelt
down, and we will be socked in by winter wet.

[I did graduate studies in Rochester years ago, so have some
inkling of your conditions, but your 1200' altitude surprises
me.]

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada