Old 17-06-2005, 03:46 AM
K Barrett

Dave Gillingham wrote:
Diana, I can't match the stories of the experienced & the professional
growers, but I remember one experience from my first incarnation as a
grower, in my early teens.

I had visited the home of a schoolmate for the first time. He had
this magnificent D. discolor (undulatum in those days) growing on a
mango tree in the back yard. The pseudobulbs weren't all that long -
maybe 3' or a little more. But fat! They must have been at least 2.5"
in diameter, probably closer to 3. And green, and lush! It may have
been a combination of more shade than its normal habitat, & perhaps
something nutritious in the bark. Anyway, I was impressed, & admired
it fulsomely.

Well, the next time I visited him, he referred to that orchid with
great delight, and, glowing with pride, invited me to ccome & see what
he had done with it.

He had PRUNED it!!!!!!! Not one bulb longer than 12". Every one of
them cut short whilst still on their outward taper. I seem to
remember I stayed polite. No idea how I managed that.

Dave Gillingham

I admire your restraint, Dave, and remind me never to play poker with
you! *G*

K Barrett