Old 17-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Rez said:

On the other end of the garden, I think my volunteer petunias are
scheming to take over the world! They are HUGE, and bloom in all sorts
of unlikely colours (and odd textures -- including wrinkled?!) -- I've
seen a recommendation of using petunias as a boundary to keep pests
out of veggie gardens, because they are toxic and nothing eats them.
The Starving Attack Rabbits certainly don't touch 'em.

And I've had rabbits feed on petunia flowers (not the leaves, just the
flowers). As has my friend in Novi.

They are oddly inconsistant critters from place to place (and maybe from
year to year). Some people claim they will eat Asiatic lilies to nubs while
the ones in Plymouth never touch them (and the ones in Shelby Township
used to chew through the base and just eat the flowers). Some years
they relish Achillea leaves, most years they don't.

Well, I just hope they don't eat the New England asters down to nubs
while I'm gone...

(attributed to Don Marti)