Old 17-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Ed

I will check around. But, the squirrels seem
to know that my plants are off limits after a taste.
Probably after a few days, any of the aromaticity
of the pepper is gone and it requires a taste,
which I don't think will harm an animal. The burn
is probably a pepper's natural defense anyway. It's
not delivered at full strength either. Right after I
apply it, I'd be surprised if they at all go near
the plants and areas that have been sprayed.

I could understand directly **sprayed** pepper causing
an animal to mame itself. Believe you me, I've touched
hot pepper in a meal and still after washing hands and
then dealing with my contact lenses later on, I've
gotten the burn. It takes a lot of resolve not to put
soap directly into my eyes - just have to flood the
eyes with water. Very powerful stuff that capsaicin.

LJ wrote:
No, couldn't find it again. I'm pretty sure it was in the Garden Web forum
and was quite the impassioned plea not to use the hot peppers but I couldn't
find the same reference again--and the thread I did find, even though it
repeated the same plea not to use the hot peppers--didn't give anymore info
and became so negative that I decided not to reference it.

"Ed" wrote in message ...

have a link, article, reference or something?

LJ wrote:

Actually, I read in another forum that cats have been known to scratch

their

eyes out after an encounter with hot pepper.