Old 17-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Kay

In article , mikeyw mikeyw.1qrgvy@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Folks,

I received this lovely plant a few weeks ago and potted it straight
away in a mix of soil and compost. It's been watered daily (at night)
in the dry weather yet it's once lovely green leaves are now withered
brown and dying ?

What is the plant and why have the leaves started to die off ?

Can I do anything to rectify the situation ?

Could be red spider. Look underneath the leaves for a pepper like
covering which, if you look very closely, has tiny round creatures, pale
sandy coloured. You may also have a very fine spiders web particularly
at the ends of the shoots.

If you have a heavy infestation of these sap suckers they can dry out
the leaves and kill off the plant with symptoms looking like this.

there's a biological control available which is the best way, but if it
is red spider, you need something quicker acting here. Try a systemic
insecticide (eg dimethoate) though red spider does seem to have become
resistant. Meanwhile, wipe off all the insects you can see with a damp
tissue and repeat daily.
--
Kay