Old 17-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Doug Kanter

"RhondaM" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I'm on zone 5. Something's wiping out my zucchini leaves, and FAST. Much
of the nibbling is from the middle of the leaves to the outside, so it
doesn't seem like the work of a mammal. And, there are no deer tracks.
Haven't seen the deer since early May. So....back to the bugs: In 20
years of gardening, I've never seen zucchini leaves eaten. Stem borers,
yes. But not this.

I've been out inspecting for bugs at about 12 different times in the past
24 hours - haven't seen a thing. WTF???

Caterpillars?

Yeah....but like I said, I've been out there every two hours since yesterday
afternoon, during day and night, and I've seen nothing. Unless it's a
caterpillar that can decimate 90% of a leaf in 4-5 hours and then leave....

Just spoke to the Cornell Cooperative Extension. It turned into a conference
among the various volunteers there. The guy said "Each of us has been
gardening since the dawn of time. We've never heard of an insect that does
this".

That seems to leave the rabbits, yet again, although it doesn't make sense.
No matter. This is war now.