Old 17-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Kay

In article , Theo Markettos
writes
Theo Markettos wrote:
It's my first attempt at growing butternut squashes. I've been growing
them in the house from seed (from a fruit) and planted them outside a few
weeks ago. They're flowering, but what seems to happen is the flower
opens for a few days then shrivels up and drops off, leaving just the
stalk sticking up.

Gratuitous I'm-just-playing-with-my-camera picture he
http://www.harbinge.mine.nu:8088/photos/IMG_1365.JPG

A flower stem can be seen at the top of the picture.

First thought - are you getting any female flowers yet? They tend to
produce male flowers first, and later female flowers which have a
visible embryonic squash at the base.

Your soil looks a bit dry and lacking in humus - I sympathise with you
having to cope with that!

--
Kay