Old 17-06-2005, 10:53 PM
gonzo

Plants are the most expensive way to garden. Around here, seedlings
range from 1.50 for a 4-pack to 10.00 or more for perennials.

Doesn't sound so bad until you figure that seeds at 1.75/pkt are closer
to pennies/plant. Granted you have an investment in your time, potting
soil, maybe lights if you start indoors in a basement (me) but you
aren't going to spend $150.00 worth!! This spring I spent maybe $35.00
in potting soil, but I start a lot of plants.

Check out the prices of store veg, do the math.. Your biggest
investment should be you - your time, energy, etc. Starting seeds
indoors for me means checking in the AM to make sure dry plants get
watered, lights are on a timer so no worries there, uncover seedlings
that are sprouting.. Pretty much auto-pilot early on. Later, it takes
time to drag flats of plants in/out as the weather changes.. Later yet,
prep and weeding.. later, harvest.. etc.

My seeds are stored in a cool, dry place and I haven't had viability
problems on anything except corn. Some seed packets are 4+ years old,
and so those plants I don't buy new stuff. Even so, I still have a ton
of seeds

And that doesn't account for those thrifty folks who save their veg
seeds from their own plants! You have more options than $$, I would
think