Old 17-06-2005, 09:35 PM
George

"KerplunKuK" wrote in message
George scribbled :
Perhaps if the person posting his question could post his water
parameters
(pH, ammmonia, nitrites, nitrates, general hardness), we could give him
more
specific information.

The results from the testing are as follows;
pH= 7.6
Ammonia= 0 - 0.125ppm
Nitrite= 5ppm
Nitrate= 0ppm
Hardness= 201-300 mg/l

Anything else needed? My next step is to introduce many more plants.
Are
there any that are especially good, or is any plant good?

Hmmm. The pH is fine. However, those ammonia and nitrite levels would
concern me, especially the nitrite, as it can be toxic to fish and
invertebrates at that level. Ideally, the nitrite levels should be 0 ppm.
The hardness is off the charts as well, and is even higher than what is
recommended for salt water aqauriums. Normally, the acceptable general
hardness for freshwater ponds and aquariums is about 80-100 ppm. But this
is the lesser of my concerns. It can have a greater affect on the plants
than the fish at that concentration. I would look into finding a more
accurate kit for measuring your hardness. Are you using well water? What
is the source of your water? You may need to do a partial water change to
get these concentrations back down to acceptable levels. Having said that,
you should test your water source first to make sure it isn't the source of
these high concentrations. As for plants, water lillies are good, as are
any number of other water plants. That really is up to you, as you know
better than anyone else what space you have available for addition of
plants, and what type of animals you have in the pond (i.e., Koi are
notorious for eating/destroying certain plants). I would find a good local
source for water plants, and talk to the owner/dealer. He would know what
grows best in your area.