Old 18-06-2005, 08:36 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Brerfox" wrote in message
u...
G'day from Brissie,
I have a relatively new (12 months old) vegie patch and am having moderate
success with a few vegies.
However, I find that hardly any seeds germinate in the bed -- nothing

much
comes through. I can germinate the seeds successfully in seedling
containers in my fern house, then transplant them, and they grow OK.

Over
the period I've tried direct seed sowing of beetroot, lettuces,

silverbeet,
tomatoes, broccoli, all to no avail.
Could it be ants? We have millyuns and millyuns of little tiny ones all
over the place.
Help?

It could be one (or more) of these problems:

- ants carrying them away
- rodents eating them
- seeds drying out and not germinating correctly
- something, eg snails, eating the new shoots off
- soil too cold for germination (probably not in Brisbane)
- warm damp conditions encouraging fungus diseases (quite possible in
summer)

Some detective work will be required to find out which and take the
appropriate action.

David