Old 18-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Jenny

Doug Kanter wrote:

Stop bottom watering. Water from the top until some drains out the bottom.
Then, take the pot off the dish and dump the excess water.

I have to disagree here! Though I'm relatively new to gardening outside,
I've been growing gorgeous African violets on my windowsills for many
years. I always bottom water.

Here's what I do that works. I always put my pot in some kind of outer
container, either one of those thin plastic cachepots that come with
plants or a larger pottery container like a big decorative mug large
enough for the plant to sit deep in it.

I water by taking the plant out and then putting about an inch of water
in the outer container and then setting the pot with the African violet
in the pot.

I don't water until inspection shows that the outside pot is dry.

The limp leaves are probably from over watering. You shouldn't have to
water more than every 5 days or so. Maybe a lot less this time of year
when you aren't using central heat.

I find that those small plant fertilizer spikes work better than the
African violet food I used to use for fertilizer.

As far as light goes, I move my plants around from time to time since I
don't have a lot of sunny window sills. The African violets do okay on
my east-facing windows in the winter when there are no leaves cutting
down on the light they get. I move them to the south facing windows in
the summer when most of my other plants go outside.