Old 18-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Maryc Maryc is offline
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Alls it takes is a few humans eating hot peppers and putting the seed reamins out in the compost pile or in the trash and there you have a nice spread of seeds. THen the humans also travel with the hot peppers and when they go bad they toss them out and the seeds have a new place to be.
Also when the peppers go bad on the vine and drop to the ground they can sprout and move across the land by the next crop dropping peppers. Another theory is after the peppers drop and there is a nice rain to wash seeds to another place, that can work too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I was just reading some of the posts in the recent "cats?" thread. The
discussion turned to hot pepper and it reminded me of something I have
been wondering about.

Plants produce fruit for only one reason, right? To attract an animal to
eat it and carry the seeds away to new locations. So why did hot peppers
evolve to be so hot? It's almost like there must be an advantage to the
plant to repel animals and keep the seeds from spreading. Well, that
can't be. Is there an animal that is attracted to the hotness? I think I
remember that birds aren't affected by hot peppers. Is that the key to
my little mystery?

Steve