Old 24-10-2002, 08:15 PM
ned

Default Ivy covered tree

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Carol Russell

Russells@
queenborough42.freeserve.co.uk writes
I have a tree badly covered with ivy. Is the correct procedure to

sever the
ivy, pull it off the tree and then dig out the ivy roots.

Carol you have seen all the 'Tree Huggers' replies and what should

and
should not be done. Well, as someone else has pointed out, it is

'your'
garden for a few years for you to do what you wish, so do what 'you'
want to do.

We had a very old Apple Tree in our last garden and just like your

tree
it had a lot of Ivy growing up it. I cut the Ivy stem and kept the

tree
clear.

The Earth is reputed to be 36 Thousand Million Years old. How long

has
'Man' been on it? Well it has been said that if the age of the Earth

is
related to a 24 hour clock, we have been on this Earth since

23.59.30.

It doesn't matter what you as 'an individual' do, Nature will

'correct'
it after you have gone:-((

Look at the Twyford Gap on the M3 near Winchester, colouring over

all
ready :-))

:-))
Nice summation Mike.
As you see Carol, there are few right or wrong answers to be had but,
lots of shades of grey. Every argument will have its protagonists. And
sometimes, even highly respected scientific minds will disagree.
No matter what you do, you won't please everyone.

--
ned