Old 19-06-2005, 12:03 AM

In a message dated 6/18/05 3:33:54 PM, SteveWachs writes:
it is a seesaw battle between the Crab Apples and the Junipers. I try to
keep them separated.

I believe the necessary distance is 250 or 500 feet. You would have to ask an
arborist.

It*took on a different appearance with the Hawthorns. The bark swelled and
took on witch's broom appearance*

I don't think that is cedar-hawthorn rust, which shows up as typical orange
spots on the hawthorn. It is more likely a bacterial or virus infection. What
kind of hawthorn was it? The English hawthorns, C. xmedia, do not seem to be
that prone to our native diseases. There is something that spoils the fruit,
possibly a mite, so I spray a few times over the summer with Orthenex, which
contains a fungicide as well as insecticide. It is very effective in preserving
the fruit, preventing rust, and also dealing with elm leaf miners on elm bonsai.
Here in Zone 5, people occasionally plant 'Paul's Scarlet' or 'Punicea,'
which are quite hardy. They do not seem to be bothered by anything except the
fruit blight. Old crabapple varieties are much worse off.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++