Old 19-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\

"Travis" wrote in message
news:uS1te.19993$tY4.5944@trnddc06...
Tom Randy wrote:
On 2005-06-17 12:24:00 -0400, "AL" said:

Received my first AV about 6 weeks ago
Was in full bloom-had just been watered-3-4 days later flowers
began dying-but there were
new buds.

Iwatered it from the bottom til soil was damp-about 30 minutes-new
buds blossomed while older ones still died off-I watered it again
about 5 days later from top-avoiding leaves-seemed to do
better-until this past week--

Watered about 5-7 days after previous watering from bottom like
before-about3-4 days later leaves were drooping around eges of
plant -some flowers dying--

What am I doing wron --it's in North window-Iwater with room temp
water--Help!

AL

I'll add that if you want this to bloom in the future a north window
won't do it without a grow light. These need lots of light to bloom.

Tom

But not direct sun.

My violets love north light as long as it was unshaded and they bloomed just
fine, too. This sounds more like a case of overwatering. Are you watering
when the soil feel in need of water (but not overly dry, either) or are you
just watering it on a schedule?

You might try putting the plant over a saucer filled with pebbles that has
water in it all the time to give it proper humidity. You can even wick the
pot so that you don't have to water the violet itself, just the pebbles
below and the plant will draw up the water it wants.

If I were you right now, I'd knock it out of the pot and see how soggy the
soil is. If it's very wet remove all the dirt you can and give it fresh
african violet potting soil and don't water it right away. The little
feeder roots will have been severely damaged and need a change to recover.
I'd also remove the drooping leaves if they are mushy or saggy limp -- they
won't come back and they are just sapping what little strength the plant has
left. It' hard to save an overwatered plant but it can be done.

Giselle