Old 19-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Stan The Man

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Stan The Man contains these words:

Quite a lot of threads in this newsgroup get taken miles off topic by a
certain group of people who presumably think that their banter is of
interest to the majority.

Pay closer attention. You will then observe, that there isn't "a
certain group of people" who keep wandering off topic. Most regular
posters do it occasionally, because that's the nature of normal social
conversation.

I was referring to the small number who do seem to delight in wandering
off-topic quite regularly and with such determination that some very
lengthy and totally off-topic threads have resulted. I believe that
usenet frowns on this in general, for very good reasons - primarily
consideration for others who may be wasting their time ploughing
through off-topic posts looking for one that bears some relation to the
subject - and I hope that the coterie of URG regulars would not
consider themselves to be above standard usenet etiquette.

I have no objection to a brief diversion but I do object when the
diversion takes over the thread and snowballs. I would therefore be
grateful if the extended in-chatting could be taken elsewhere.

(snip)