Old 24-10-2002, 09:20 PM
ned

Default Ivy covered tree

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ned
writes

Perhaps saving the ivy is just a way of salving the guilty

gardening
conscience.
:-)

This is a personal opinion, but it is also expressed by

arborculturists
and forestry people who know a good deal more about trees than I.

When ivy is seen growing up a tree, it is often assumed by gardeners

be 'attacking' or setting about to harm the tree and finally to kill

it.
In some cases this may be true, but it is more often the case that

the
tree is already sick or in trouble of some kind and the ivy is

growing
up it in preparation to act in its natural role of scavenging.

I have yet to come across an ivy seedling with the intelligence to
select an ailing tree. They are all opportunists who will clamber up
anything and everything which is adjacent. Your implication is that
every tree is, by definition, sick or ailing. I hope this is not so.
And much as I defend the tree, I can't see ivy as a natural scavenger.
The only thing that comes naturally to it , is procreating. I may be
wrong (Good heavens, surely not) but I think ivy has to climb to
flower. A pollination requirement perhaps. I cannot recall seeing any
flowers or fruit at ground level.

--
ned