Old 19-06-2005, 01:54 PM
B.Server

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:07:01 -0400, Steve wrote:

{...}

Thanks to all who gave a reply. I guess this is the most reasonable
answer to my mind.
There are many fruits that attract mammals and their seeds survive the
trip through the digestive system. Maybe pepper seeds can't survive if
eaten by a mammal and so developed this alternate plan. My first thought
was that there are so many birds that are seed eaters that they must
be able to digest seeds very well. If not, we wouldn't be attracting
many birds to our winter bird feeders.
On the other hand, when birds eat fruits such as Strawberries, I do
believe the seeds survive. I've never seen a bird eat a pepper but I
assume in their native habitat, there are birds that eat them.

Steve

I have a constant competition with the local mockingbinds (Central
Texas) over which one of us will get the fruits of the wild chile
pequins growing around my property. They (the mockingbirds) will
patiently pluck and devour dozens of ripe fruit from a plant, then fly
to the next to select their next course. FWIW they also have a great
fondness for cherry tomatoes.