Old 19-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Roger Snipes

This kind of scenario can be kind of touchy, we all know that material like
that is junk, but one doesn't want to turn off prospective enthusiasts. I
know that for most experienced bonsai artists the first reaction when seeing
a twig in a pot like that is to say it isn't worth messing with, or cut back
to one leaf and wait for something to grow that you can work with, or put it
in the ground or a training pot for five plus years and then you can start
working on it. However, since we need to encourage those who are new to the
hobby, that kind of response generally won't do the job.

I have found that if one does some sort of basic styling on the twig (or
makes some basic styling suggestions for the person to do themselves), the
prospective member generally is quite pleased with the result, and they are
encouraged to come back and learn more. Once they progress to a certain
level they will make the determination for themselves that the twig isn't
worth messing with, and will move on to more suitable material. Usually,
anyway.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. USA, Zone 5ish