Old 19-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

Anonny Moose wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
Bourne Identity wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:42:14 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
opined:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/GrapeBug.jpg

Been finding this guy on my grape vines...
Friend or Foe??

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Could be a species of Leafhopper. If that is what it is, grapevines can
tolerate populations of up to 15 leafhoppers per leaf with little or no
economic damage.

No it isn't. Why answer when you aren't certain? It happens to be the
larva of one of, if not THE most beneficial insect on the planet, the
ladybeetle.

Victoria

Well, EXCUSE ME, Victoria.

I had no idea there were so many lady bug experts on this news group.
I merely tried to find the closest look alike in my copy of the Midwest
Small Fruit Pest Management Handbook. Of course lady bug larva are not
in
the book. By the way, is there a difference in larva of the common lady
bug and the Asian Lady beetle? The Asian Lady Beetle can RUIN a whole
fermentation by releasing a smell when crushed that can not be cured.

Thank you for educating me on lady bug larva.

The larvae of the different lady beetles is indeed different and the one
in
question appears to be the Asian lady beetle. The Asian adult releases a
bitter tasting and foul smelling liquid, which is actually the beetle's
blood, from its legs as a defensive action. So you'd definitely want to
make sure you don't have these lady beetles in your fruit at harvest.

Thank you for the information.

The OP asked if the bug could be a problem. I believe the answer is YES, it
could be a problem, IF the beetle is indeed The Asian beetle and IF the OP
intends to make wine from the fruit or possible even jelly.

Perhaps even Victoria could learn a thing or two - unless she has the
answers to all the world problems.