Old 19-06-2005, 06:25 PM
David Ross

Keith Corwell wrote:

Hi everybody
is Pin Oak the Oak tree that does not really lose it leaves in winter time ?

There are several evergreen oaks. Many are described as "live
oaks".

Suitable for my climate, there are
Quercus agrifolia -- coast live oak
Q. chysolepis -- canyon live oak, maul oak, goldencup oak
Q. durata -- leather oak, Nuttall's scrub oak
Q. engelmannii -- Engelmann Oak, mesa oak, Pasadena oak
Q. ilex -- holly oak, holm oak
Q. suber -- cork oak
Q. tomentella -- island oak
Q. turbinella -- desert scrub oak, shrub oak
Q. nacciniifolia -- huckleberry oak
Q. viginiana -- southern live oak
Q. wislizenii -- interior live oak

However, my own oak is Q. lobata (valley white oak), which is
definitely deciduous. I started it from an acorn that I pick up in
a shopping center parking lot. It's now 28 years old and taller
than my two-story house. See
URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html.

--
David E. Ross