Old 19-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Boseley
writes

"Brendy" wrote in message

Could you please tell me if this is a weed? Should I pull them all out?
Thanks for the help.

|Filename: Picture 290.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2810|

Brendy

I think it is called Rose Bay Willow Herb, I believe it is from Canada
originally, If it was in my garden I would pull it out.

I don't think it's rosebay. Leaves paler green and not so glossy. I
think it's broad-leaved.

Haven't we done this one before? ;-)

There's at least two willow-herbs in flower at the moment. I've finally
identified one as E. montanum (4-lobed stigma, non-hoary, leaves
clasping stem), but I'm not sure of the identification of the other -
it's one of the tetragonum/ciliatum/roseum/obscurum group with angular
stems, and I was leaning towards E. ciliatum based on the deeply lobed
petals, but I went back and checked the leaves, which appear to be
sessile, which would point to E. obscurum, but the stems are
near-glabrous ...
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley