Old 20-06-2005, 02:53 AM
The Krane

Rusty Mase wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:12:48 -0400, "The Krane"
wrote:

Is there anything we should do to it? Spray against bugs?
Fertilize?

There are several pear trees in my neighborhood that are almost wild
and have little or no maintenance. Our deer get the ones they can
reach and the squirrels likely get a fair share. As they ripen the
birds will get after them. But they seem not to need protection from
insects. You might call the local county horticultural agent and ask
them if there are any local concerns. They would be listed in the
phone book under your county and Agricultural Extension Service.

My parents used to collect the almost ripe pears and grind them
coarsely in a sausage grinder and make a really nice relish that we
used exclusively on black-eyed peas and field cream peas. We also
made a type of pear wine like hard apple cider. Pears are a hardy and
versatile crop. But they may be susceptible to the same diseases as
apples and you might check with the ag agent.

Rusty Mase
Austin, Texas

Thanks again Rusty... I'll give'em a call.

--
The Krane