Old 19-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

Bourne Identity wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:42:49 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
opined:

Bourne Identity wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:14:11 -0700, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

The larvae of the different lady beetles is indeed different and the one
in
question appears to be the Asian lady beetle. The Asian adult releases
a bitter tasting and foul smelling liquid, which is actually the
beetle's blood, from its legs as a defensive action. So you'd definitely
want to make sure you don't have these lady beetles in your fruit at
harvest.

When I make anything from fruit, I wash it. I thought this was common
practice. You mean there are people who make wine, or jam, without
washing the fruit first?

ALL the wines you buy are made from grapes that has NOT been washed.
I do not know of any wineries that wash the grapes prior to crushing.

Even washing may not solve the problem entirely because the Asian beetle
can and does burrow into holes in the fruit created by other insect pests.

Well, Gallo Winery has been making wine from organically grown grapes for
decades. I wonder how they do it.

"Organically Grown" does not mean they wash their grapes. Organically grown
means they restrict the pesticides and fungicides to those that are
"considered" to be "Organic" such as Sulphur and Copper.